Monday, July 12, 2010

Training Day 1

Today was the first day of training at the ranch. It began at 9 am and there is one other parent training with me. I got to finally meet Holmes and see him in action. He demonstrated how he could detect peanuts and I was very impressed. We got to meet the trainers and they are all very nice and wonderful with the dogs. I spent some time playing with Holmes and getting to know him. He is very cute and sweet, but a bit stubborn. He tried to test his limits with me to see if I would correct his behaviors so I began to learn how to do that...apparently I have the mean voice down, but still struggling with being firm enough. I learned how to get him to heel and down. We went for a walk in the park where he tried to chase a squirrel, ducks and geese, and the trainer tried to provoke the dogs so we could work on getting them to not chase them. With the geese Holmes got down when asked but he was agitated, he really wanted to go play with the geese. Finally we went to lunch and I got to be the Handler at lunch. Holmes was on his best behavior (perhaps because he was so tired from the walk.)
Holmes has a hot pink service vest, and he is masculine enough to pull off that look! Amanda picked it out for him :)
I can't post many pictures, I do not have wi-fi to connect to and my cell phone coverage is horrible (and I was supposed to be using that as a modem) So, to sum it up, no phone, no Internet, and no TV...and I am alone in a travel trailer in an RV park that gets spooky at night...so to everyone who said I would enjoy the time away once I got there....ummmm, not so much! I miss my family, it's too quiet and lonely here!!

No comments:

Post a Comment